Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Big Update

Lots to update. Today I got a surprise when I went to visit. Cole was extubated (they took the breathing tube out), and moved to a nasal canula. This is those little tubes in your nose that you commonly see in the hospital. Very exciting. He's handling it fine, and now will be able to make sounds and cry. Pictures to come soon.

He still has his feeding tube, and they increase his feedings daily. He's up to 9.4cc's per hour of milk and handling it fine. He currently weighs 2lb 14oz. Getting close to 3lbs! Cole has a new neighbor, Alexandra. She was born at 21 weeks and 15oz, but is doing well.

The eye doctor performed a second test on Cole. There is scar tissue developing in both eyes, which is not uncommon in preemies. The added oxygen needed by preemies is part of the cause of the scarring. The right eye is at stage 1, so that's fine. The left eye is at stage 2, so they are closely watching it. If it reaches stage 3, they will need to do laser surgery to correct it. With the surgery, there is a 90% chance that Cole's vision will be fine. In another month his eyes will finish developing and we'll be in the clear. But it's a waiting game in the meantime. On a side note, he's much more tolerant of exams like this. His vital signs don't drop like they used to when handled, which is a good sign of his development.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blogging news today. Good for Cole! I'm crazy about that boy.
Gramalee

Anonymous said...

I must say this little Cole fella of ours is a fighter. I am so glad to hear he has improved so much. I just love being able to check on him. How are his momma and daddy doing? love you all so much.
Great Auntie Dede

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see him!
-Aunt Caitlin :)

Anonymous said...

So glad to read this post today :)
Hope you guys are well!
xoxo
kari

Anonymous said...

YEAH! He's handling everything like a champ! xoxo Aunt Rhoni