Saturday, November 19, 2005

Wednesday (D-Day)

Wednesday I arrived early with breakfast for Heather. I ran into Michelle Wood in the lobby and we came up together. Everything was going great. They had upped Heather's Magnesium dose again that night to counter-act the contractions, but she was in good spirits. Dr. Tio came by and heather asked if she could get up to go to the bathroom (Realize that she had been flat on her back since Monday morning). The doctor said she would examine her first. Results, Heather was fully dilated, and the baby was ready to come out.
Things started moving quickly. She was moved to the delivery room, and I got scrubs (gown, booties, mask, hair net). We were both trying to keep it together as best as possible but we were both really scared. They broke her water and prepared for a natural birth. However, as soon as the water broke, the baby flipped over into a breach birth. So the table and everyone moved into the adjacent O.R.
Heather got an epidural (I didn't watch that), and was laid on her back with both arms outstretched. I did watch the C-section, and it was fascinating. Heather really didn't feel much, but it was unbelievable how they could take organs out of her, set them on her stomach, and later put them back.
At first I saw a foot, then they brought the whole body out. I bent down and whispered to Heather "It's a boy". The baby was passed to the NeoNatal ICU team that went to work on the baby. Meanwhile Heather's doctors were sewing her up. I asked of the object sitting on her stomach "Is that the placentia?" And they said "No this is her uterus. We have to put that back inside her". To which Heather, laid out behind a curtain said "They have to put something back inside me?!"